2017 Art Workshops Mackinaw City
MCAAC offers creative workshops at our Cultural Center located at Mackinaw Crossings in Mackinaw City, Michigan. Here is a list of the featured Artist’s workshops for the summer of 2017. More will be added soon. In addition, we also have free Art 4 Kids Days, Paint and Pour events , music and more. Please visit our Event Calendar Page for dates and details – click here.
Art 4 Kids Art For Kids Mini Art Workshops and Classes
Fun Free Art for Kids every Thursday at the MCAAC Cultural Center
We feature a fun creative event for kids every Thursday from 4pm to 6pm. Different projects each week with guest artists and volunteer hosts. Bring the kids to the Mackinaw City Area Arts Council’s Cultural Center at Mackinaw Crossing by 4PM, on summer Thursdays, to join in these fun, education mini art workshops. No pre-registration required. Parents please plan to stay and enjoy watching your kids participate in these free art 4 kids mini art workshops in Mackinaw City. Children 6 to 11 must be accompanied by an adult age 12 and over may come on their own as long as we have a parents contact number where they can be reached during the event. Visit the MCAAC Calendar for dates and details – click here.
Learn to Journal with Watercolors
Sketchbook Journaling with Mary Lou Peters
Tuesday, August 29th and Wednesday, August 30th
In this art workshop Students of all skill levels will learn a joyful way to record and keep memories in their own personal sketchbooks through the use of watercolor paints. They will learn to see their world through new eyes as they as they create pages from their travels, gardens, holidays, and everyday life in their own charming illustrated journals.
This class will be held on two consecutive days for six hours from 10 AM-4 PM (including an hour break for lunch—bring your own brown bag or purchase at a local Mackinaw City restaurant. Cost for the 2 days is $150.
NOTE: Students need to bring their own supplies for this workshop. Click here to see a list of supplies needed (you will also receive this list in an email upon registering.)
Mary Lou Peters has been painting in watercolors for twenty seven years and keeping an illustrated journal for nearly that long. She has taught children and adults, beginners through advanced levels for the last seven years.
Mary Lou’s work may be viewed at www.maryloupeters.com
Journal Workshop Supply List
- Journal with heavyweight paper (140 lb. smooth for writing on). Stillman & Birn Zeta Series, 5×8, hardcover, spiral bound sketchbook is recommended.
- Small palette: Koi Watercolor Pocket Field Sketch Box by Sakura, 24 colors.
- Bring a large size zip lock top plastic bag to hold your palette after a painting session.
- Brush: A waterbrush comes with the Koi Kit, or you can buy a watercolor travel brush size 6.
- Water cup with screw-on cap. Must be leak-proof.
- Pencil with #2 lead.
- Kneaded eraser (doesn’t leave marks or eraser debris).
- Correction pen (white ink).
- Pigma Micron pen, black ink, point size 03. You may also use 01 or 05. Your pen MUST be permanent ink.
- Paper towels, 3 of them folded into squares in a sandwich size plastic bag.
- Small tote bag to hold these supplies (you may use a plastic grocery bag).
- A foldable chair to sit on while painting outdoors.
- You may want to bring a stool to place your supplies on to keep them off the ground.
We recommend buying locally, if art supplies are not available near you, Amazon.com carries the sketchbook and watercolor sketch box. Cheap Joe’s Art Supplies (a catalog/online store wwwcheapjoes.com: 1-800-227-2788) is also a source for supplies on this list.